Saturday, September 10, 2011

Spice Islander



I took these photos in March when Mark and I were in Zanzibar. We were on our way from Stone Town to spend a day on Prison Island. I loved the old, worn look of this ship. The juxtaposition of the rusty ship sitting on the perfect sands of the island was so picturesque to me. You can imagine our shock when we read that this ship is now at the bottom of the ocean, along with many of its passengers. I hear about this kind of tragedy happening around the world all the time, but this one hit home for us because we're realizing how easily we could have been there to witness, or even be a part of it. I'm obviously grateful that we weren't there when this happened, but I am grateful that I've experienced the enchantment of this place and its people. They are in our thoughts.

No comments: