Monday, June 1, 2009

Ah...Welcome Month Six

I've been looking forward to this day for an entire month. Not that the month of May was particularly unpleasant - quite the contrary infact. For me, it was filled with bike rides, BBQs and general enjoyment of the warm weather. But despite the awesomeness of May, I just couldn't get over the fact that the number five would inevitably be present while writing the date. I detest writing fives. I just can't get them right no matter how much I concentrate or practice writing them and this produces slight levels of frustration for me, being the moderate perfectionist that I am.

Thus, a typical day in my May life would go as follows:

Wake up early, enjoying the blissful twittering of the birds outside my window, take a delightful shower, get ready and drive to work while relaxing to some of my favorite tunes (Mirah and Vettevre seemed to be my May music of choice), enjoy a fabulous day at work....so far I'm as happy as a fat kid at McDonald's, right? Right. Until the time comes when I have to write the date. I sit and stare at the paper for a few seconds, willing my mind to hold the pen and control my fingers in just the right way in order to write the perfect five. I'm convinced that today is the day. Today is the day I will write the most beautiful five these stubby little fingers have ever produced. I write the five with perfect confidence, only to end up chastising myself in the end for actually believing I could do something so ridiculously impossible. Crap, that five is the ugliest thing I've ever seen, I sheepishly think to myself. What is that squirrely S-looking blob of a thing I just wrote? *Sigh* I'll never get it right. And from here it's all downhill. I spend the rest of the day focusing on my imperfections and inadequacies and comparing myself to others who can write perfect fives. I'll never be like them.

So this is my ode to June. ODE TO JUNE, the sixth month - and may the world end before the year 2055, or 2015 for that matter.

1 comment:

Danielle said...

Brittany, you crack me up. If it makes you feel any better, I feel the exact same way about the number eight. I hate eights!